I now live in Ohio and I want to move bees to Michigan. Do I need a permit to bring my bees into Michigan?

From Mike Hansen, Michigan State Apiarist, Michigan Department of Agriculture, Pesticide and Plant Pest Management Division: "Honey bees may enter Michigan without an inspection permit. However, I strongly suggest that no beekeeper purchase any hive, package, nucs or queens that are not inspected in the state of origin. Unless you know the producer, the state inspection is the only evidence that the bees are free of disease". Mike Hansen can be contacted at: 269-428-2575 or hansenmg@michigan.gov

I think I have bees under the siding above my front door, what should I do?

A very complete answer can be found here.

Is there anything special I need to do to move or ship bees into California?

The requirements for shipping bees to California can be found at this address: http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/phpps/pe/Bees.htm

Do you have a question about bees or beekeeping? Ask the beekeepers at SEMBA for expert advise. Email your questions to Roger at rsuther@sembabees.org

Back to Education